Thursday 11 October 2012

Password Protect Google Chrome

Google Chrome has been my browser of choice for quite some time now with one of the main reasons being its ability to sync and keep track of my "surfings" across multiple devices with the simple use of my Gmail login information.

Google Chrome is not just fast with a clean user interface, it is also convenient and practical.  I do not need to write down the website I stumbled on while sitting on the bus, I can bookmark it or simply just close it off and that information will be available to me on any computer I go to once I enter my Gmail particulars into Google Chrome.

Is this a good thing?  Yes, but with all the many things Google Chrome can do, save and sync (including your precious passwords) it creates a privacy issue where an individual using the came PC can have the same access you have to all your information should you forget to log out of Chrome when you're done surfing the Web.

Thankfully now, you can protect your privacy by password-protecting the entire Google Chrome browser.  All you need to do is download and install the Simple Startup Password add-on or extension for Google Chrome and then follow the steps below:
  1. Click on Customize and control Google Chrome (top right corner of the browser)
  2. Go to Tools
  3. Extensions
  4. Click on the Options link under Simple Startup Password
  5. Enter you password of choice
  6. Click Save and you're done
The next time you open or restart Google Chrome you will be asked to enter the password.  If the password entered is incorrect Chrome will close.

NB: There is NO PASSWORD REMINDER OPTION, so be sure to put things in place to ensure that the password is NOT FORGOTTEN.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Add comment here