Now for the problem. When I installed Microsoft Windows 8 Pro on my desktop a few days ago I used the optical drive (DVD-RW) to do so, only to realize now that the drive is no longer showing up in My Computer (did not notice that before this morning).
I checked the Device Manager and realized that the drive was not even registered there. I re-scanned the system for new hardware, but to no avail. Finally (as a last resort) I swapped out the drive for a different one but still the problem remained. It was only after a bit of "googling" I was able to find a solution.
It appears as though the problem originates from the Registry and so to get the drive showing again involves a small edit being done. So here goes:
- From the Start Screen (Metro Screen) type CMD
- Right mouse click on the Command Prompt (cmd) when it shows up (Top left corner of screen)
- At the bottom of the screen choose Run as administrator from the options listed
- Copy and paste the following command into the Command Prompt: reg.exe add "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\atapi\Controller0" /f /v EnumDevice1 /t REG_DWORD /d 0x00000001
- Hit Enter on your keyboard
- Reboot your computer
This method worked for me. Please let me know if it worked for you as well in the comment section.