Wednesday 21 November 2012

Why you should lock your WiFi - Funny story

A good friend of mine called me a few days ago with a problem that I hadn't seen or heard of in quite some time - he could not access his WiFi connection (no, this is not the problem, read on).

I figured it might have been a simple glitch with his Internet router/modem so I asked him to reset it (power off and then back on) while I waited on the other end of the telephone.

After a few minutes the told me the router/modem was back up and there was Internet access (because his desktop was connected and had just received a Facebook message), but his Android tablet still was not connecting to the WiFi even though the device was "seeing" the signal.  He said it kept asking him to enter the WiFi password, something he never had to do before because his WiFi was open (requiring no password to connect to and use).

Well it got me thinking and so after some careful "pondering" I sent him to the desktop so I could have him check what was going on with the router/modem.  I gave him the IP address he should enter into his favorite browser (he is a Mozilla Firefox guy), he did that and told me it was requesting a password so I gave him the default password and guess what - the password was not accepted (now this was the problem).

Apparently someone more tech-savvy than him (he said young persons were always using his WiFi, but he is okay with that) had decided to "hijack" his router.  They had set a WiFi password and had changed the access credentials for the router/modem, basically locking him out of his very own service.  Man, did I have a good laugh (this is a perfect April 1st prank to pull is what I was thinking) anyway, joke aside there is a serous lesson to be learnt here:  protect your Internet connection.

If you do not know how to do it yourself ask or pay someone to do it for you.  I did get him to follow a few "simple" steps to rectify the problem, but man, did I have a good laugh all the way to the end.

1 comment:

Add comment here