Sunday 18 November 2012

Protect your computer - Read the options

Some time ago (in one of my earlier posts) I explained the importance of paying attention to the options that you're presented with when installing software, especially "free" software since most of them tend to come bundled with add-ons and sometimes even malware/spyware which can cause your computer to not perform as well as it was or should be performing.

Today I want to stress this point again - read the options carefully!

If you are presented with a normal/typical/recommended option as well as a custom/advanced option, ALWAYS choose the latter of the two.  True, you may not be an advanced user (in your mind), but in most cases you do not need to be.  Choosing the custom/advanced option will however, allow you to say yeah or nay to the "crapware" that they would have placed on your system had you gone with the so-called "normal" option.

Take the images below for example; If I had decided to go ahead with the recommended option, I would have ended up installing a toolbar that I definitely do not want and changing my browser's homepage.  In choosing the Custom Installation option I was able to un-check those two "undesirable" options and install just the software I wanted.

You would have paid a "pretty penny" for your computer, you therefore owe it to yourself to protect that investment as best as you possibly can - READ THE OPTIONS!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add comment here